Friday, August 21, 2009

Surprises.

I think we've all basically agreed on liking the book. I especially liked it because it didn't have the perfect ending. The ending to A Separate Peace leaves you banking on conclusions and your own thoughts. It's not so "Happily Ever After". And yet it's still a great book. I also liked it because of some surprises. Such as Leper, I really wouldn't expect him to be classified Psycho from the army. I thought he was weird from the first time Gene described him, but not psycho by any means. Another surprise had to have been when Brinker held a trial about the tree. I figured Brinker would bring something up to Gene about it beforehand. I guess he kind of warned him. But I never thought it'd go down like that. Pubic shame for Gene. And last, but not least, I was actually surprised when Finny died. The thought of him dying didn't even cross my mind throughout reading the book. Then after I read about it, I thought it was the perfect closure. The perfect way to clear the slate and bury deep guilt along with a best friend.

Do you agree with being surprised on any of these matters? Do you have anything to add?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you even through I did not enjoy the book as much as you did the book was chalk full of surprises. I was really surprise when the called leper as crazy because he was so nice and peaceful I was never expecting that. Overall all the surprise in this book made me want to keep reading it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.