Friday, July 10, 2009

What I’ve gotten out of it.

When I first started reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn I automatically criticized the book. I thought to myself, “What is the point in reading this book?” Upon finishing the book I realized the point. There’s more than one too. There’s so much symbolism that we’ve been blogging about. It’s one of those books that assists you to have a better outlook on some things. Huck came from a rough life and instead of getting into trouble and taking out his anger he traveled the river with Jim. I could ultimately say it was a sort of therapy for Huck. Along the whole trip he made a friendship with Jim that was so strong to the point of Huck willing to go to Hell for Jim’s freedom. This novel deals with relationships, racism, slavery and reality. The amount of hypocrisy within this novel was astounding as well. For example, Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas locked Jim up in the shed and had every intention to sell him into slavery again but yet they went and prayed with him every night. Another example would be Tom. Tom was all for releasing Jim into freedom. But he made such a big deal out of the whole plan of getting him out of the shed that it soon seemed clear that Tom only cared about another adventure. Jim’s life was in Tom’s hands and Tom seemed to make another joke out of it, caring barely more than a slave owner.

In Adventures of Huckleberry Finn would you rather be Huck or Tom at the ending? Because regardless Jim was freed in the end with the help of Huck and Tom. Are you a thrill seeker like Tom or more of a realist like Huck?

7 comments:

  1. I'm probably more like huck because I like to get stuff done rather than make it take forever. Not that I don't procrastinate, but I don't deliberately make things more difficult or complicated for fun. Also I'm not a real quick thinker under pressure while Tom is brilliant that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I would want to be Huck. He pretty much gets a new beginning. He doesn't have to worry about his father or any other problem he really ever had. The only downfall would be that he didn't want to be "sivilized", but that had to happen whether he liked it or not. He knew Jim was freed, and that he had helped save him. Tom, on the other hand, would just kind of go back to his life, and nothing would really benefit him; Other than the fact the he had a great adventure in recueing Jim.

    I'm not really one to be risking things and going on dangerous adventures, so I definitely think I would rather be Huck. Things were finally becoming stable, and I know that's something I need to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to choose to between Huck or Tom I would have to be Huck. I choose Huck because he focus more of the reality of things.Tom is to adventurous for me he just does not focus on the things that are around he just makes everything a adventure well I maybe I am also a Tom in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would most definitely have to choose Huck.
    Tom didn't sit idly and let life pass him by; he went and found adventure, but unfortunately he went too far and was trying to make things way to complicated for himself. Huck on the other hand, was contented with his life on the raft. He was simplistic, but when push came to shove, he did what it took to take care of Jim and himself. He cared about his companion, and as Haley said he was, "willing to go to Hell for Jim’s freedom".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely want to be Huck. I am a lot like M in the sense that I'm not much of a thrill seeker, unlike Tom was. Huck grew a lot as a person and in himself as well. I would love to be Huck because he got his own adventures along the way, met a new best friend, and found himself. He could start over as M said, and if you were Huck that's all you could really ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to choose Huck because like Jill said, he really found himself and grew a lot as a person. Tom just ran with his wild imagination and adventerous side, which was fine, but he took it too far at times. I'm really more like Huck when it comes to personality. He took everything in stride and handled things the best way it seemed to handle them. He didn't get caught up in fantasies like Tom, and that's how I would be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much fun as Tom sounds, the more practical choice for me would have to be Huck. He really lived life to the fullest and had a meaningful life for others as well. He took problems one at a time and handled them realistically. He never really fantasied about things that he couldn't have or in things that couldn't happen.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.