Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thoughts on Huck Finn

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect before reading Huck Finn. I had heard a lot about it, and it was all good. I got my hopes up for the book, and my expectations were fulfilled.
Huck Finn had a lot of ideas that intertwined and connected with each other. I remember when we were receiving our books on Move Up Day, Mrs. Beggs had said that this was a story about the underdogs. As I was reading that, that is what kept reoccuring in my mind constantly. I love a story about the underdog, and this really was. Who doesn't love a story about an underdog anyways?
The main theme throughout the story that I picked up was about freedom. There's two different freedoms that are occuring here, Jim being freed from slavery, and Huck having freedom and not having to be "sivilized." I loved the idea of the river symbolizing freedom. Huck and Jim could escape from the real word. Jim was not a slave while he was on the raft, and Huck didn't have to worry about the unnecessary, pointless routines he had grown to agonize. Huck was also able to escape his father, and feel a sense of safety while on the river with Jim. This is where the bond and relationship that grew into a close friendship started between Jim and Huck.
There was a sense of loyalty and friendship throughout the novel as well. This was not between just Jim and Huck, but with Huck and Tom, and even the people Huck came to encounter. There were so many themes underlying in the text, and that's part of the reason why this became such an entertaining and intriguing novel to read. I loved reading the book and found it humorous along with serious issues that were brought to the surface by subtle means. Huck Finn is a book I feel that anyone can read and learn a lot from at any time.

6 comments:

  1. I think that freedom was a main theme in the story, too. I actually completely forgot about what Mrs. Beggs told us on move up day, but now that you've said that I see how it connects. Throughout the story, I was trying to see different metaphors and the river as freedom never occurred to me. Without the river, Huck would have been stuck. Nice work, Jill! I loved seeing Huck grow as a person, and I enjoyed watching Tom and Huck's friendship play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmph. I never even thought of that until now Jill. That's a really great metaphor, and I'm glad you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Life is like a big river. It flows, has currents. It can take you in circles, or in the entirely wrong direction. It can save you from trouble... or give you some. It can bring people together or rip them apart. ... And this sounds really dramatic. But yes, my point is there is definately a metaphor here. Nice one, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very awesome, Jill. I completely forgot to look for metaphors as I read Huck Finn. It was an interesting read and I will definately have to read Huckleberry Finn again to pick up everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree too that freedom is the biggest theme in the story. Twain did such a great job at using symbolism and meteaphors to teach us lessons. I didn't catch on to all the metaphors but I did a few. Good work Jill! This post made me rethink a few things about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like most of the other people that commented on this post, I also didn't think of the river as being a metaphor for freedom until I read this post! So thanks for pointing that out Jill! I also like how Shelby elaborated on it more!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.