Friday, July 10, 2009

Language

I actually have liked Huck Finn, but I want to take this time to look at the way the language is used compared to what I have read. The english that is used in Huck Finn reminds me of some of the older English, like Shakespeare. Sometimes, it isn't completely understandable, especially when Jim talks. Other times, when Huck and others are talking it is a lot more understandable, because it is closer to what we use in everyday life. Twain shows that the English used in Huck Finn is definately an improvement (at least in our terms) on the language used by Shakespeare and the other 18th century poets. What do you guys think about the language that is used in Huck Finn? How does our language relate to the language used in said book?

[notrelated]Also, just a little plug here, since I have no way of contacting you guys outside of school. I am wondering if any of you guys (or gals) would be interested in something called SEDS (www.seds.org). If any of you guys are, please email me. [notrelated]

4 comments:

  1. I don't think the language is any different. The novel takes place in the south where people have that southern accent. It's just like Pennsylvanians in different counties having their own way of talking. People use different words but meaning the same thing all across the U.S. There's slang, what people call redneck, and even texting language. I think it just all depends on the culture.
    What is SEDS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students for the Exploration and Development of Space. I used to live in the south, mainly Arkansas, and from what I remember we didn't talk like this. I think that the language has to deal with the area and the time frame in which it is spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understood the language perfectly I mean at first it was a little hard to comprehend but after reading it just came to me. I am going to have to agree with Katie on this one because southern people have really thick accent I should know my dad’s from the south.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both of you on the language topic. It has many different factors including the era, who was speaking it, where they come from, and where they live. All of these have a huge impact on how people sound. Of course this kind of talk and slang sounds funny and different to us, but if we lived back in the time of Mark Twain, this talk would be an everyday occurrence and we would think nothing of it. It is almost as if languages evolve, they evolve into something easier to speak and easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.