Friday, July 10, 2009

well worth it

I brought my book with me on vacation. Most of my cousins have all read it and sympathized with me as I trudged on page after page. My cousin Maggie, however, said an interesting thing. She hated reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but afterwards she was very glad she had done so. I read the book with a new light and motive and I can honestly say I enjoyed it, also.

The characters are hilarious and so true to people we deal with everyday. I read it more as a thrilling, adventure book and less as a boring, broken englished, worthless, scribble Mrs. Beggs was making us read. I feel it was really worth week of my summer. As i progressed through the book, my cousins progressing with my nicknames from Jim to Black Jim to BJ, I was able to understand the southern accent clearly and it really gave a whole new setting to the story. I have never been able to read anything like this.

So really what I am asking is a lot of things. What are other situations that were a pain to get through but well worth it in the end? How many more opportunities appear when we broaden our horizons and try new things? Has anyone else receive a nickname from the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to how you felt with this book. When I read 1984 last year I struggled to read it every time I had to. Now, though, I realize how important it was that I read and understand the concepts presented in it. It was probably the most educationally important book I've ever read.
    Last year when I was offered to go to the Second Mile Institute, I really didn't want to go. I didn't think it would be any fun and well I would have been stuck with Rut for 4 days! I convinced myself to give it a chance and go. It ended up being an awesome experience and I really learned a lot from everyone there!
    Sadly, I didn't get a new nickname from the book, BJ. I think you might be the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my biggest challege with this book was actaully having to find the time to sit down and start reading it. I think that's my biggest trouble with a lot of things. I never want to start something but if i start it and open up a bit I usually find out how much I enjoy it and realize it's not as bad as I made it out to be. When oppertunies come I think I just hace to try it and not but up a fight and be afraid or anything. I think I and everyone could broaden our horizons so much if we just let go a little and go out of the "norm" and give it a try. Huck was up to try anything, I guess I kind of look up to him for that.

    No, sorry. I didn't get a cool nickname by reading this book. Maybe I'll have better luck with the next one!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.