Friday, July 10, 2009

THE END. YOURS TRULY, HUCK FINN.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had to slog through this book. (Today while working at the library, Diana and I even discussed the differences between plodding, slogging, and muddling. I think this would have to be a slogging case.) The first 15 or so chapters of the book took what felt like forever to get through. Since the speech was new to me, I has to read the same lines over and over again just to understand what someone was saying. That was definitely and obstacle in reading this book.
But...after getting through those tough chapters, I began to become interested in the book. At one point during my reading, I thought to myself how ordinary this book was. The events of it were things that would actually happen; there weren't any outrageous or ridiculous happenings that just weren't realistic. The situations that Huck got into and the thoughts that he had were what any normal person of that time period would have. Usually an adventure book would have something that would never happen to a regular, ordinary citizen. I guess that's what made me enjoy this book as much as I did. It had components of suspense (getting through Huck's extensive speeches and trains of thought), humor (Tom and Huck discussing Jim's rescue), and even some danger (Huck's time at the Grangerford's during the feud; Tom getting shot in the leg). The character personalities were my favorite aspects. The numerous amusing exchanges kept me interested when I just wanted to close the book forever.
All in all, I enjoyed the book, even though I was glad to read its final words.

5 comments:

  1. wow dap i felt the same way even through I did not have trouble with the speech. For me I was so excited to go from chapter to chapter every chapter was exciting for me. I am really glad that we feel the same way about the book. the only thing I am going to have to disagree with you is the ending I thing Huck should have died that would be the perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was weird. The 4 most recent blog posts disappeared and reappeared. Any of you guys know what happened? Anyway, Huck Finn is OK. It's not the kind of book that I regularly get drawn into, but its doing a good job so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a very good point Daphne. It is realistic for an adventure style book. That's actually pretty refreshing now that I think about it, and really just made me appreciate the book a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would. Just looking at the cover I thought it'd be a boring book, but once I got through the first few chapters, it was a quick read. Twain writes a lot of detail in his book. He explains ideas and events as if we were actually there. It was definitely a book full of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with how this book drug on and on and on! I didn't particulaly like this book because it was so hard to follow. It had a good story but having to reread most of the book was a pain. Twain really goes into detail when he describes things. He wants you to see what was in his head, it really eliminates your imagination and how you picture things in your own mind because of this. This was a plus for me because it takes a really talented writer to constantly have these ideas and images in your head.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.