Friday, July 10, 2009

symbolism?

Before reading this book I heard a lot of comments about it. I heard it was a good book, but I also heard it was a stupid book about Huckleberry Finn and a slave floating down a river. I now know that this novel is a very interesting and unpredictable story. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was not what I expected at all. Mark Twain brought so many things together to compose of a great story. There was a little bit of everything in it. There was murder, new friendships, robbery, lies, deception and so much more which made for quit a thrilling and exciting story.

The one thing I found most interesting about the story was the raft. I thought that the raft was the only dependable thing in the story. The raft allowed relationships to happen, like the friendship that Huck and Jim acquired and the raft also let Huck and everyone else get away from their problems. The raft acted a “get away car” and allowed as a safe form of transportation for Jim at night. I know this might sound a little crazy but I feel that the raft should be a main character, or well is one. It went everywhere in the story. I think that it was taken for granted. Can you imagine the story without it? No Jim and Huck, or no Duke or King… who knows what else could be different with the story without it. I think that Mark Twain might of tried to teach of something by using the raft as a symbol? With all the lies and drama going around the raft was still there, so maybe he was trying to say that life can sometimes get a little crazy but there is always to depend or fall back on? Just what I thought, your opinions?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Mol! I never would have thought of something like that, but now I agree. Without that raft, there wouldn't have really been a story. Huck and Jim would have been stuck, and that would have been the end of the story. Huck would have been found and Jim would have been forced to leave. It definitely should be considered a main character, and I now consider it to be. I can think of a few things that I know I can always fall back on when life gets a little hectic, and I think that raft was something for Huck and Jim to rely on. No matter what that thing was always there, and it seemed to be almost a best friend to them as well. That's an awesome connection, Mol! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting. I never would've thought of the symbolism being that way. I mean, obviously we all know the raft's importance in the story. It's almost like the raft kept coming back to Jim and Huck and kept them safe as well, like you said. Kind of like the father, the true home, and the love Huck never had. The raft and Jim gave him all he needed. He got brotherly love from Jim, a home from the raft and both acted as Huck's support through the whole journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, you're a genius. You're right; the raft was his anchor through life. It was always there, and even though it got banged up a little and got lost once or twice, it was still there for him and Jim. It carried him through the storms and gave him a safe haven when danger was lurking near.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Molly! That is such an excellent point! You're absolutely right. It's funny because I'll look at simple objects like a park bench and wonder about what kind of stories it's heard, or what's it witnessed on the streets around it. Call me crazy, but I do. And it's fun to think about. I only bring it up because this reminds me of that a lot. The raft itself knows the whole story; it's been there the whole time. Well, at least most of the story anyway. Great connection! I loved this.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are being monitored for school appropriateness; therefore, your comments will not appear immediately. Thank you for your patience.